- Your location:
- Tech News ›
- Current page
The Bluetooth technology is used in many electronics like smartwatches, open-ear TWS earbuds, smartphones, tablets, TVs and more. As of May 2023, the newest version of Bluetooth is Bluetooth 5.4. It was released on January 31, 2023, and offers a number of improvements over previous versions, including:
- Improved range and speed: Bluetooth 5.4 offers up to 2x the range and 4x the speed of Bluetooth 5.3. This means that you can now connect your devices over longer distances and transfer data faster than ever before. This makes it ideal for use in applications where a long range or high speed is required, such as industrial automation and AR/VR.
- Enhanced security: Bluetooth 5.4 uses new security features to protect data from unauthorized access. This makes it a more secure choice for applications where sensitive data is transmitted, such as healthcare and finance.
- Reduced power consumption: Bluetooth 5.4 uses new power-saving features to extend the battery life of devices. This makes it a more sustainable choice for applications where battery life is a concern, such as wearables and IoT devices.
Bluetooth 5.4 is backwards compatible with previous versions of Bluetooth, so you can use it with older devices. However, you will only get the benefits of the new features if both devices are using 5.4 version.
The new features of Bluetooth 5.4
Bluetooth 5.4 introduces some new features that enable more secure, scalable, and energy-efficient communication between a large number of devices. Some of the new features are:
- Periodic Advertising with Response (PAwR): This feature allows devices to send and receive short messages without establishing a connection, using periodic advertising packets. This can be useful for applications such as electronic shelf labels (ESL), where a central hub can update the prices and information on thousands of labels without consuming much power.
- Encrypted Advertising Data: This feature allows devices to encrypt their advertising data using a shared key, so that only authorized devices can read it. This can enhance the security and privacy of Bluetooth communication, especially for sensitive applications such as health care or payment.
- LE GATT Security Levels Characteristic: This feature allows devices to advertise their security level requirements using a new characteristic in the Generic Attribute Profile (GATT). This can help devices to find compatible peers and establish secure connections faster.
- Advertising Coding Selection: This feature allows devices to choose between different coding schemes for their advertising packets, depending on the channel conditions and power consumption. This can improve the reliability and efficiency of Bluetooth communication.
- What are the benefits of using open-ear earbuds?
- What are the improvements for the latest upgrade Bard?
- New Apple iPhone 15 Pro Renders Leaked, with New Mute Button and Thinner Bezels
- What is Microsoft Mesh?
- Apple iOS 17/iPadOS 17 to Enhance Health App with Mood Tracking and More
- Blackview First Rugged Tablet’s Model & Specs Leaked
- MediaTek breaks out! Dimensity 9200+ scores crush Snapdragon 8 Gen2
- What is Multiexperience?
- What is Digital Immune System (DIS)?
- What is Extended Reality (XR)?
- What is Green Building Technology?
- What is AI? Everything about Artificial Intelligence
- How to Build a Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver