- Your location:
- How To Guides ›
- Current page
The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number is a unique identifier for a mobile device. It is used by networks to identify valid devices and can be used for stopping a stolen phone from accessing the network in that country. The IMEI number is usually printed at the back of devices or can be found in the device’s software.
Can IMEI No. be changed?
Theoretically, yes, the IMEI number of a device can be changed. However, it is illegal and unethical to do so in many jurisdictions, including the US, UK, and many other countries. Changing the IMEI number of a device is often associated with fraudulent activities, such as making a stolen phone untraceable.
Will IMEI number change with SIM card?
No, the IMEI of a phone does not change with the SIM card. The IMEI is assigned to each phone when it is manufactured. It is programmed into the phone’s hardware and cannot be changed without specialized equipment.
The SIM card, on the other hand, is a removable card that stores information about your mobile subscription, such as your phone number, carrier, and account information. It also contains a unique identifier called the IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity). The IMSI is used to identify you to your mobile carrier and to authenticate your subscription.
Will IMEI change after factory reset?
No, the IMEI of a phone will not change after a factory reset. A factory reset will erase all of the data on your phone, including your apps, settings, and personal files. However, it will not erase the IMEI or any other system files.
How to Change the IMEI Number on Android/iPhone?
Changing the IMEI number of a mobile device involves modifying the device’s software and hardware. This process is not recommended for individuals who are not experienced with mobile device technology and software. Here are the general steps involved in changing the IMEI number:
1. Backup your data: Before starting the process, make sure to backup all of your important data and settings to a secure location. This will ensure that you do not lose any important information during the process.
2. Obtain the necessary tools and software: You will need a software tool that can modify the device’s software and hardware. This tool is typically only available to authorized service providers and manufacturers.
3. Access the device’s software: You will need to gain access to the device’s software in order to modify the IMEI number. This can be done by using a software tool or by gaining physical access to the device.
4. Modify the IMEI number: Once you have access to the device’s software, you can modify the IMEI number by changing the value of the “IMEI” field in the software. This field is typically located in the device’s firmware or software settings.
5. Flash the new IMEI number: After modifying the IMEI number, you will need to flash the new IMEI number to the device’s hardware. This can be done using a software tool or by physically replacing the device’s hardware.
6. Test the device: Once you have completed the process, test the device to ensure that it is functioning properly and that the new IMEI number is recognized by the carrier and other devices.
Risks and Precautions
Changing the IMEI number of a mobile device can be risky and can result in a number of negative consequences, including:
1. Device malfunction: Modifying the IMEI number can cause the device to malfunction or become unstable.
2. Carrier rejection: The carrier may reject the device if the IMEI number has been modified, which can result in the device becoming unusable.
3. Legal implications: Changing the IMEI number can be illegal in some jurisdictions, and can result in legal consequences.
4. Security risks: Modifying the IMEI number can also pose security risks, as it can make the device more vulnerable to hacking and other forms of cyber attacks.
- How to back up your Android phone?
- How To Track your Lost Mobile Phone with IMEI?
- How to check the IMEI number in Redmi phone?
- How to find lost Bluetooth earbuds that are turned off?
- How to record phone conversations on Android?
- How to turn off NFC on Android/iPhone/Samsung/Huawei?
- How to block Phone Numbers & Text Messages?
- How to enter recovery mode on Android using pc?
- How to boot Android in safe mode?
- How to stop ads on Android/iPhone?
- How to clear app cache on your Android device?
- How to use ‘Find My iPhone’ to locate a lost or stolen Apple device?